Clementine Lindgren is a culinary enthusiast who has honed her skills in the delicate art of pickling. She adores the myriad of possibilities that pickling presents and takes pleasure in developing unique taste profiles. Clementine's mission is to make the pickling process enjoyable and accessible to all.
Preserving the tangy, sweet, and crunchy goodness of underripe gems, a great recipe for pickling green tomatoes is a delight. With a few simple ingredients and some time, you can create your own homemade pickled green tomatoes. They are perfect for sandwiches, salads, or as a standalone snack.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 lb. green tomatoes
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
Now, let's get started with the step-by-step guide:
- Begin by washing and slicing the green tomatoes.
- In a pot, combine the white vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- While the brine is boiling, distribute the mustard seeds, black peppercorns, coriander seeds, garlic cloves, and bay leaves evenly between two clean jars.
- Pack the tomato slices into the jars, making sure to leave about 1/2 inch of headspace.
- Pour the boiling brine over the tomatoes, filling the jars and covering the tomatoes completely.
- Close the jars tightly and let them cool to room temperature.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate the jars for at least a week before enjoying the pickles.
And there you have it! Your very own homemade pickled green tomatoes. The mix of vinegar, sugar, salt, and spices creates a delightful balance of flavors that will elevate any dish. Plus, the vibrant green color of the tomatoes makes a visually appealing addition to your pantry. If you're interested in exploring more pickling recipes, check out Patty Pickler's easy and delicious recipes.
If you prefer visual instructions, check out this video tutorial that demonstrates the pickling process from start to finish:
Watch the video tutorial here
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. You'll be amazed at how easy it is to make your own pickled green tomatoes, and the delicious results will have you coming back for more! If you're curious about other vegetables that can be pickled, check out this list of other vegetables that can be pickled.
Gather Your Goodies: The Ingredients You'll Need for Homemade Pickled Green Tomatoes 🍅
Essential Ingredients for Your Pickled Green Tomatoes
- 1 lb. green tomatoes - The star of the show! Ensure they're firm and unripe for the best results.
- 1 cup white vinegar - This will provide the tangy kick that makes pickles so irresistible.
- 1 cup water - A necessary component for your pickling solution.
- 1 cup sugar - To balance out the acidity and add a touch of sweetness.
- 2 tsp salt - An essential ingredient in any pickling recipe, helping to preserve and flavor the tomatoes.
- 1 tsp mustard seeds - These tiny seeds pack a punch, contributing to the overall flavor profile of your pickles.
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns - For a hint of heat and a pop of flavor.
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds - These will add a warm, slightly citrusy flavor to your pickles.
- 2 cloves garlic - Because everything's better with a bit of garlic, right?
- 2 bay leaves - These will infuse your pickles with a subtle, savory flavor.
Let's Get Pickling! Your DIY Green Tomato Pickling Recipe Step-by-Step Guide 👩🍳
A fantastic recipe for pickling green tomatoes includes vinegar, sugar, salt, and a mixture of spices. This straightforward process yields tangy, sweet, and crunchy pickles that are perfect for sandwiches, salads, or as a standalone snack.
Next, pack the tomato slices into the jars, and carefully pour the boiling brine over them, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace. Close the jars and let them cool to room temperature. For the best flavor, refrigerate the jars for at least a week before enjoying the pickles.
In just about 15 minutes of prep time and 10 minutes of cooking time, you'll have a jar of homemade pickled green tomatoes ready to be savored. The combination of vinegar, sugar, and spices will create a delightful balance of flavors that will enhance the natural tanginess of the tomatoes.
If you're a visual learner, check out the video tutorial below for a step-by-step guide on pickling green tomatoes. It will show you exactly how to wash, slice, and pack the tomatoes, as well as how to make the brine and seal the jars.
So, why not give this DIY green tomato pickling recipe a try? It's a fun and delicious way to preserve the flavors of summer and add a zesty kick to your meals. Happy pickling!
Now that we have gone through the ingredients and steps to pickle green tomatoes, let's take a look at a practical demonstration of this process. The following video tutorial will guide you through each step, making it easier for you to follow along.
The video above gives a practical demonstration of pickling green tomatoes. As you can see, the process is relatively simple and the result is a tangy, sweet, and crunchy pickle. Remember, for the best flavor, refrigerate the jars for at least a week before eating the pickles. Happy pickling!